HCIFS Additional Resources
JOINT STANDING COMMITTEE ON HEALTH COVERAGE, INSURANCE
AND FINANCIAL SERVICES
ADDITIONAL RESOURCES AND BACKGROUND MATERIALS
❖ SINGLE PAYOR OPTIONS:
- Maine Health Care System and Health Security Board Report on Feasibility of a Single Payer System, http://legislature.maine.gov/doc/2097 and Mathematica Study of the Feasibility of a Single-payer Health Plan Model for the State of Maine (2002), http://legislature.maine.gov/doc/2099
- Vermont Study of Single Payer Options, https://ljfo.vermont.gov/assets/docs/healthcare/1a3342b9a2/FINAL-REPORT-Hsiao-Final-Report-17-February-2011_3.pdf
- Vermont Fiscal Office, https://ljfo.vermont.gov/assets/docs/healthcare/18cb3a1270/Consensus-estimates-for-Green-Mountain-Care.pdf
- Washington Post, https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/why-vermonts-single-payer-effort-failed-and-what-democrats-can-learn-from-it/2019/04/29/c9789018-3ab8-11e9-a2cd-307b06d0257b_story.html
- Cornell Policy Review, http://www.cornellpolicyreview.com/rise-fall-vermonts-single-payer-plan/
- Kaiser Health News, https://khn.org/news/looking-north-can-a-single-payer-health-system-work-in-the-u-s/
- Third Way, https://www.thirdway.org/report/single-payer-health-care-a-tale-of-3-states
❖ Insurance Reform Options:
- Manatt, "The Landscape of Federal and State Healthcare Buy-in Models: Considerations for Policymakers"
- State Health and Value Strategies, "State Medicaid Buy-Ins: Key Questions to Consider"
- Health Affairs Blog, "Public Option 1.0: Washington State Takes An Important Step Forward"
- Covered California, "Report on Merging the Small Group and Individual Insurance Markets" (2018)
- State of Maryland, "Analysis of Merging Markets for the State of Maryland"
❖ CONTROLLING HEALTH CARE COSTS AND HOSPITAL PRICES:
- Massachusetts Health Policy Commission, https://www.mass.gov/files/documents/2018/05/07/Opportunities%20for%20Saving%20packet.pdf
- Millbank Memorial Fund Blog post, https://www.milbank.org/news/how-can-employers-and-government-control-rising-hospital-prices-a-conversation-with-robert-galvin-and-robert-murray/?utm_source=Milbank+Email+List&utm_campaign=1a18481341-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2017_11_27_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_dbce9df54c-1a18481341-3881501
- Millbank Memorial Fund Blog post, https://www.milbank.org/2019/05/how-new-data-on-hospital-prices-paid-by-employers-can-help-states/
- RAND Corporation, https://www.rand.org/pubs/research_reports/RR3033.html
- Katherine Sapra, Katie Wunderlich, and Howard Haft, "Maryland Total Cost of Care Model: Transforming Health and Health Care"
- ProPublica, "In Montana, a Tough Negotiator Proved Employers Don't Have to Pay So Much for Health Care"
❖ HEALTH INSURANCE MARKETPLACE OPTIONS:
- Center on Budget and Policy Priorities, "Health Reform: Designing a Marketplace"
- Georgetown CHIR, "States Opt to Run their Own Exchanges to Save Money, Reclaim Autonomy"
- NASHP Blog, "So, You Want to Build a State-based Marketplace? Here's How!' Advice from Marketplace Leaders"
- Jane M. Zhu, Daniel Polsky, Yuehan Zhang "State-Based Marketplaces Outperform Federally-Facilitated Marketplaces"
- Mark Hall, "Health Insurance Markets Perform Better in States That Run Their Own Marketplaces"
❖HEALTH DATA AND ANALYSIS:
- Health Insurance Coverage in the United States: 2018, Current Population Reports, United States Census Bureau (September 2019), https://www.census.gov/content/dam/Census/library/publications/2019/demo/p60-267.pdf
- American Community Survey Tables for Health Insurance Coverage, https://www.census.gov/data/tables/time-series/demo/health-insurance/acs-hi.2018.html
- State Health Profiles: Maine, State Health Access Data Assistance Center, https://www.shadac.org/state/me
- State Health Facts, Kaiser Family Foundation, https://www.kff.org/statedata/
Sources: Selected links included from Maine Department of Health and Human Services Resource Bibliography for August 29, 2019 Forum, All In: A Forum on Health Coverage and Affordability in Maine, https://www.maine.gov/dhhs/coverage-and-affordability.shtml (accessed 10/16/19)