§6748-A. Sea urchin draggers license
1. License required. A person may not engage in the activities authorized under this section without a current sea urchin dragging license.
[ 2001, c. 667, Pt. A, §8 (RPR) .]
2. Licensed activity. The holder of a sea urchin dragging license may use the vessel named on the holder's license to drag for sea urchins. The license also authorizes the captain and crew members aboard the vessel named on the license to drag for and possess, ship, transport and sell sea urchins, except that the captain and crew members may not drag for sea urchins if the license holder is not aboard the vessel.
[ 2001, c. 327, §21 (AFF); 2001, c. 327, §6 (RPR) .]
2-A. Change of named individual. A person who is the owner of a vessel named on a sea urchin dragging license in 2000 but not the individual named on that license may apply to the commissioner to be the individual named on that sea urchin dragging license in 2002. The person must provide written notarized documentation to the commissioner authorizing the change in license name by the individual who was named on that license in 2000. If no such request is received by the commissioner by December 1, 2001, then the individual named on the 2002 sea urchin dragging license will be the same as the individual named on the 2001 sea urchin dragging license and no future changes of the named individual will be permitted.
[ 2001, c. 327, §7 (NEW) .]
2-B. Exemptions. Notwithstanding subsection 2, the commissioner may authorize a person to fish for or take sea urchins from a vessel when the person holding a sea urchin dragging license that contains the name of that vessel is not on board if:
A. [2017, c. 222, §4 (AMD); MRSA T.12, §6748-A, sub-2-B, A (RP).]
B. [2017, c. 222, §4 (AMD); MRSA T.12, §6748-A, sub-2-B, B (RP).]
C. An individual documents to the commissioner that the individual has held or leased more than one sea urchin dragging license for 3 consecutive years, was the owner of the vessels named on those licenses during those same years and is currently the owner of the vessels named on those licenses. Under this paragraph, the commissioner may renew each license held by the eligible individual if the vessel named on that license is unchanged from the vessel named on the license in 2000. [2001, c. 327, §7 (NEW); 2001, c. 327, §21 (AFF).]
[ 2017, c. 222, §4 (AMD) .]
3. Eligibility. A sea urchin dragging license may be issued only to an individual who is a resident.
[ 2001, c. 421, Pt. B, §47 (AMD); 2001, c. 421, Pt. C, §1 (AFF) .]
4. Zone 2 fee. The fee for a Zone 2 sea urchin dragging license is $152.
[ 2011, c. 598, §38 (AMD) .]
4-A. Temporary Zone 1 fee.
[ 2009, c. 396, §9 (NEW); MRSA T. 12, §6748-A, sub-§4A (RP) .]
4-B. Zone 1 fee. The fee for a Zone 1 sea urchin dragging license is $25 per year when the season is no longer than 10 days. If the Zone 1 season is longer than 10 days, the department may by rule increase the sea urchin dragging license fee to an amount no higher than the amount specified in subsection 4. Rules adopted under this subsection are routine technical rules pursuant to Title 5, chapter 375, subchapter 2-A.
[ 2011, c. 598, §39 (NEW) .]
5. Violation. A person who violates this section commits a civil violation for which a forfeiture of not less than $100 nor more than $500 may be adjudged.
[ 2001, c. 421, Pt. B, §47 (NEW); 2001, c. 421, Pt. C, §1 (AFF) .]
1993, c. 416, §2 (NEW). 1993, c. 740, §1 (AMD). 2001, c. 327, §§5-7 (AMD). 2001, c. 327, §21 (AFF). 2001, c. 421, §B47 (AMD). 2001, c. 421, §C1 (AFF). 2001, c. 667, §A8 (AMD). 2003, c. 20, §WW20 (AMD). 2009, c. 213, Pt. G, §24 (AMD). 2009, c. 396, §9 (AMD). 2011, c. 598, §§38, 39 (AMD). 2017, c. 222, §4 (AMD).