S.P. 386 - L.D. 1283
An Act to Amend the Criminal Laws with Regard to Animal Welfare
Be it enacted by the People of the State of Maine as follows:
Sec. 1. 17 MRSA §1031, sub-§1, ¶G, as amended by PL 1999, c. 765, §11, is further amended to read:
G. Hunts or sells for the purpose of hunting any animal, except as permitted pursuant to Title 7, chapter 202-A and Title 12, Part 10;
Sec. 2. 17 MRSA §1031, sub-§1, ¶H, as enacted by PL 1999, c. 254, §21, is amended to read:
H. Injects, inserts or causes ingestion of any substance used solely to enhance the performance of an animal by altering the animal's metabolism to that animal's detriment, including but not limited to excessive levels of sodium bicarbonate in equines used for competition
Sec. 3. 17 MRSA §1031, sub-§1, ¶I is enacted to read:
I. Commits bestiality on an animal. For purposes of this paragraph, "commits bestiality" means that a person:
(1) Engages in a sexual act with an animal for the purpose of that person's sexual gratification;
(2) Coerces anyone to engage in a sexual act with an animal;
(3) Engages in a sexual act with an animal in the presence of a minor;
(4) Uses any part of the person's body or an object to sexually stimulate an animal;
(5) Videotapes a person engaging in a sexual act with an animal; or
(6) For the purpose of that person's sexual gratification, kills or physically abuses an animal.
For purposes of this paragraph, "sexual act" means any act between a person and an animal involving direct physical contact between the genitals of one and the mouth or anus of the other, or direct physical contact between the genitals of one and the genitals of the other. A sexual act may be proved without allegation or proof of penetration.
This paragraph may not be construed to prohibit normal and accepted practices of animal husbandry.
Effective September 21, 2001, unless otherwise indicated.
|Revisor of Statutes Homepage||Subject Index||Search||Laws of Maine||Maine Legislature|
About the 2001 Laws Of Maine
Contact the Office of the Revisor of Statutes