An Act To Maintain High School Diploma Standards by Repealing Proficiency-based Diploma Standards and Adding the Equivalent in Standards Achievement
Sec. 1. 20-A MRSA §4722, as amended by PL 2017, c. 466, §§8 and 9, is further amended to read:
§ 4722. High school diploma standards
A secondary school shall provide a comprehensive program of instruction leading to a high school diploma as set out in section 4721. The commissioner shall develop rules for the transition between the requirements of this section and the parameters for essential instruction and graduation requirements established under section 6209.
(1) Have attended the secondary school or attended a secondary school in the geographic area now served by the secondary school; or
(2) Currently reside in the geographic area served by the secondary school.
(1) Before or during World War II to serve in the Armed Forces during World War II;
(2) Before or during the Korean Conflict to serve in the Armed Forces in the Korean Conflict;
(3) Before or during the Vietnam War to serve in the Armed Forces during the Vietnam War era. For purposes of this subparagraph, "Vietnam War era" means the period beginning February 28, 1961 and ending May 7, 1975; or
(4) To serve in the Armed Forces during the period of wartime or peacetime after a period of wartime described in subparagraph (1), (2) or (3).
For purposes of this subsection, "Armed Forces" means the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps or Coast Guard; and the Merchant Marines only for the period of December 7, 1941 to August 16, 1945.
Sec. 2. 20-A MRSA §4722-A, as amended by PL 2017, c. 466, §10, is repealed.