An Act To Amend the Laws Regarding Motor Vehicle Fees
Sec. 1. 29-A MRSA §461, as amended by PL 1999, c. 470, §4, is further amended to read:
§ 461. Reservation of same number
The Secretary of State may issue a facsimile plate that is valid for a 90-day period during production of a reserved plate. A facsimile plate must be attached to the rear plate bracket.
If a person does not have a vehicle to register on May 1st, a registration number may be held for a maximum of 2 registration years by depositing with the Secretary of State $15 $25 for each year ; except that the registered owner of an antique vehicle may reserve the antique registration assigned to that person for 4 years by depositing the sum of $15 for each registration year. These fees are This fee is not refundable and may not be applied against the registration fee.
All numbers other than those reserved must be released and may be issued in rotation after July 1st.
A person wishing to select a number out of rotation may do so by paying the registration fee and a reserved number fee of $15 $25.
A holder of vanity registration plates must pay the sum of $15 to reserve those letters or combination of letters and numbers, which is credited toward the renewal fee.
For a maximum of 2 registration years, a person may reserve the registration number assigned to that person by depositing with the Secretary of State the sum of $15 $25 for each year ; except that the registered owner of an antique motor vehicle may reserve the antique registration assigned to that person for 4 years by depositing with the Secretary of State the sum of $15 for each year. A person wishing to select a number out of rotation may do so by paying the registration fee and a reserved number fee of $15 $25.
Sec. 2. 29-A MRSA §502, sub-§1, as amended by PL 2017, c. 67, §3, is further amended to read:
Sec. 3. 29-A MRSA §1353, as amended by PL 2017, c. 229, §24, is repealed and the following enacted in its place:
§ 1353. Motorcycle rider education fees
Sec. 4. 29-A MRSA §1354, sub-§5-A, ¶A, as enacted by PL 1995, c. 505, §15 and affected by §22, is amended to read:
Sec. 5. 29-A MRSA §1354, sub-§5-A, ¶¶B and C, as amended by PL 2011, c. 556, §15, are further amended to read:
Sec. 6. 29-A MRSA §1405, sub-§3-A, as enacted by PL 2017, c. 475, Pt. A, §48 and affected by §49, is amended to read:
Sec. 7. 29-A MRSA §1406-A, sub-§2, ¶¶A to D, as enacted by PL 2017, c. 27, §5 and affected by §10, are amended to read:
1. Increases the one-time fee for an out-of-rotation registration plate and for a reserved registration number from $15 to $25, the same as for a vanity registration plate fee;
2. Increases the registration transfer fee for a trailer under 2,000 pounds from $5 to $8, making the fee the same as for other registration transfers;
3. Increases the motorcycle rider education school and instructor license fees to match fees for other business licenses issued by the Department of the Secretary of State, Bureau of Motor Vehicles, such as certain dealer licenses;
4. Increases driver education school and instructor license fees to match other business license fees;
5. Increases the fee for a duplicate registration certificate from $2 to $5; and
6. Reduces the driver's license fees for persons 65 years of age and over by $1 to provide equity in the fees assessed on driver's licenses issued to this demographic.