An Act To Amend the Laws Governing the Composition of the Shellfish Advisory Council
Sec. 1. 12 MRSA §6038, sub-§1, as enacted by PL 2007, c. 606, Pt. A, §2, is amended to read:
The commissioner shall make appointments so that the composition of the council reflects a geographic distribution along the coast of the State.
Sec. 2. Completion of term. Notwithstanding the Maine Revised Statutes, Title 12, section 6038, subsection 1, a person who is a member of the Shellfish Advisory Council on the effective date of this Act may continue to serve on the council until the expiration of that person's term.
This bill changes the composition of the Shellfish Advisory Council by:
1. Eliminating the requirement that 3 of the 4 members who are commercial shellfish license holders be soft-shell clam harvesters;
2. Expanding the representation from a member representing the interests of municipalities with wastewater treatment systems to a member who is a municipal official involved in pollution permitting or mitigation;
3. Changing the requirement that 2 members be municipal shellfish wardens to instead provide that 2 members must be municipal shellfish officials, including, but not limited to, a municipal shellfish conservation warden or a member of a municipal shellfish management committee;
4. Allowing a person who is designated by the Department of Marine Resources as an authorized representative of the holder of a shellfish depuration certificate to be a member; and
5. Adding a nonvoting member who has a demonstrated knowledge of biological science and holds at least a bachelor's degree.