An Act To Limit the Dissemination of Juvenile Records
Sec. 1. 15 MRSA §3308, sub-§8, as enacted by PL 1989, c. 744, §5, is amended to read:
(1) At least 3 years have passed since the person's discharge from the disposition ordered for that juvenile crime;
(2) Since the date of disposition, the person has not been adjudicated to have committed a juvenile crime and has not been convicted of committing a crime; and
(3) There are no current adjudicatory proceedings pending for a juvenile or other crime.
(1) The courts and criminal justice agencies as provided by this section; and
(2) The person whose juvenile records are sealed or that person's designee.
This bill provides for the sealing of juvenile records.
The bill changes the sealing process for juvenile records to provide that at the time a person who is adjudicated to have committed a juvenile crime is discharged from the disposition ordered for that juvenile crime, the court is required to automatically and immediately enter an order sealing from public inspection all records pertaining to the juvenile crime and its disposition.