An Act To Improve Maine's Involuntary Commitment Processes
Emergency preamble. Whereas, acts and resolves of the Legislature do not become effective until 90 days after adjournment unless enacted as emergencies; and
Whereas, this legislation needs to take effect before the expiration of the 90-day period in order to facilitate the appropriate treatment of patients with mental illness; and
Whereas, in the judgment of the Legislature, these facts create an emergency within the meaning of the Constitution of Maine and require the following legislation as immediately necessary for the preservation of the public peace, health and safety; now, therefore,
Sec. 1. 34-B MRSA §3861, sub-§4 is enacted to read:
Sec. 2. 34-B MRSA §3863, sub-§2, as amended by PL 2009, c. 651, §14, is further amended to read:
Sec. 3. 34-B MRSA §3863, sub-§3, ¶¶D and E are enacted to read:
(1) The hospital has had an evaluation of the person conducted by an appropriately designated individual and that evaluation concludes that the person poses a likelihood of serious harm due to mental illness;
(2) The hospital, after undertaking its best efforts, has been unable to locate an available inpatient bed at a psychiatric hospital or other appropriate alternative; and
(3) The hospital has notified the department of the name of the person, the location of the person, the name of the appropriately designated individual who conducted the evaluation pursuant to subparagraph (1) and the time the person first presented to the hospital.
(1) The hospital satisfies again the requirements of paragraph D; and
(2) The department provides its best efforts to find an inpatient bed at a psychiatric hospital or other appropriate alternative.
Sec. 4. 34-B MRSA §3863, sub-§4, ¶B, as amended by PL 2007, c. 319, §9, is further amended to read:
Sec. 5. 34-B MRSA §3863, sub-§7-A is enacted to read:
Sec. 6. 34-B MRSA §3864, sub-§2, ¶C, as amended by PL 1995, c. 496, §3, is further amended to read:
Sec. 7. 34-B MRSA §3864, sub-§2, ¶D, as amended by PL 2007, c. 319, §10, is further amended to read:
Sec. 8. 34-B MRSA §3864, sub-§2, ¶E is enacted to read:
Sec. 9. 34-B MRSA §3868, sub-§1, ¶C is enacted to read:
Sec. 10. 34-B MRSA §3874 is enacted to read:
§ 3874. Medical examinations conducted via telemedicine technologies
Notwithstanding any other provision in this subchapter, any medical examination or consultation required or permitted to be conducted under this subchapter may be conducted using telemedicine or other similar technologies that enable the medical examination or consultation to be conducted in accordance with applicable standards of care. As used in this section, "telemedicine" has the same meaning as in Title 24-A, section 4316, subsection 1.
Emergency clause. In view of the emergency cited in the preamble, this legislation takes effect when approved.