An Act Regarding Travel Insurance in the Maine Insurance Code
Sec. 1. 24-A MRSA §601, sub-§31 is enacted to read:
Sec. 2. 24-A MRSA §1420-F, sub-§1, ¶H, as enacted by PL 2001, c. 259, §24, is repealed and the following enacted in its place:
(1) Interruption or cancellation of a trip or event;
(2) Loss of baggage or personal effects;
(3) Damages to accommodations or rental vehicles; or
(4) Sickness, accident, disability or death occurring during travel.
Travel insurance does not include a major medical plan that provides comprehensive medical protection for travelers on trips lasting 6 months or longer;
Sec. 3. 24-A MRSA §1420-H, sub-§3, ¶B, as enacted by PL 2001, c. 259, §24, is amended to read:
Sec. 4. 24-A MRSA c. 90 is enacted to read:
LIMITED LINES TRAVEL INSURANCE
§ 7051. Short title
This chapter may be known and cited as "the Limited Lines Travel Insurance Act."
§ 7052. Definitions
As used in this chapter, unless the context otherwise indicates, the following terms have the following meanings.
§ 7053. Licensure; nonlicensed activities; compensation
§ 7054. Requirements
A travel retailer is authorized to offer and disseminate travel insurance on behalf of and under the authority of a supervising travel insurance producer if the following requirements are met.
(1) The identity and contact information of the insurer, supervising travel insurance producer and designated responsible producer;
(2) The amount of any applicable deductible and how it is to be paid;
(3) The benefits of the coverage; and
(4) Key terms and conditions of coverage;
§ 7055. Prohibited acts
An employee or representative of a travel retailer who is not licensed as an insurance producer may not:
§ 7056. Policy; responsibilities; enforcement