An Act To Protect and Promote Access to Sport Shooting Ranges
Sec. 1. 8 MRSA c. 33 is enacted to read:
SPORT SHOOTING RANGES
§ 1201. Protection of sport shooting ranges
(1) Expanding or increasing its membership or opportunities for public participation; and
(2) Expanding or increasing its events and activities.
This bill provides that a statute, rule, ordinance or other provision of law enacted or adopted after the establishment of a sport shooting range that if applied to that sport shooting range would cause the closure of that sport shooting range or substantially limit sport shooting at that sport shooting range does not apply to that sport shooting range and that sport shooting range is immune from suit, including but not limited to private and public civil actions, nuisance actions and actions for injunctive relief, based on a claim based on the statute, rule, ordinance or other provision of law.
It allows a sport shooting range to:
1. Repair, remodel, reconstruct or reinforce any building or structure as necessary to protect public safety or to secure the continued use of that building or structure;
2. Repair, restore, reconstruct or resume the use of a nonconforming building or structure damaged by fire, collapse, explosion or an act of God or otherwise; and
3. Take action consistent with generally accepted operation practices for sport shooting ranges, including but not limited to expanding or increasing its membership or opportunities for public participation and expanding or increasing its events and activities.