‘Sec. 3. 35-A MRSA §2503, sub-§21, as enacted by PL 1999, c. 753, §12, is repealed and the following enacted in its place:
(1) "Local licensing authority" means municipal officers or their designees or county commissioners.
(2) "Underground location standards" means standards governing the location and depth of and distance between utility facilities, including the underground portion of aboveground facilities such as utility pole bases.
(1) Application of the underground location standards would present an exceptional hardship or unreasonable cost under the circumstances and alternative standards will adequately ensure public safety;
(2) All affected parties, as determined by the local licensing authority, have agreed to alternative underground location standards that will adequately ensure public safety;
(3) A unique situation exists that requires an adjustment of the standards in a manner that ensures public safety; or
(4) The underground location standards exceed the limits of the available space within the right-of-way.