An Act To Prevent Abusive Debt Collection Practices
Sec. 1. 32 MRSA§11002, sub-§§1-A to 1-C, 5-A, 7-A, 7-B and 8-C are enacted to read:
Sec. 2. 32 MRSA §11013, sub-§§6 to 10 are enacted to read:
Sec. 3. 32 MRSA §11014, sub-§1, ¶B, as enacted by PL 1985, c. 702, §2, is amended to read:
Sec. 4. 32 MRSA §11014, sub-§1, ¶¶B-1 to B-4 are enacted to read:
(1) The principal amount at charge-off;
(2) An itemization of the pre-charge-off interest and fees, if any, claimed to be owed;
(3) An itemization of the post-charge-off interest and fees, if any, claimed to be owed;
(4) The name of the creditor or debt collector that levied each interest or fee; and
(5) The date and amount of the last payment, if applicable;
Sec. 5. 32 MRSA §11019 is enacted to read:
§ 11019. Cause of action by debt buyer to collect debt
Sec. 6. 32 MRSA §11054, sub-§6 is enacted to read:
This bill amends the Maine Fair Debt Collection Practices Act to provide protection to debtors with regard to collection actions by debt buyers. A debt buyer may not collect on a debt without providing specified information that includes the name of the original creditor and all intervening creditors, as well as the sources of added fees and interest. The information must be included in the complaint to initiate the cause of action to collect the debt.
This bill establishes a 3-year statute of limitations that replaces all other limitations unless the existing limitations is a shorter period.
This bill provides that a debt may not be collected if a debt buyer violates the Act.