Amend the bill by striking out everything after the enacting clause and before the summary and inserting the following:
‘Sec. 1. 30-A MRSA §3106-A is enacted to read:
This amendment, which replaces the bill, authorizes municipalities, through the adoption of an appropriate ordinance, to provide for the care, maintenance and security of abandoned mobile homes, up to and including taking possession and disposing of the abandoned mobile home. It establishes the following criteria, process and notice requirements for implementation of the ordinance.
1. Either a court or the municipal officers may make the determination that a mobile home has been abandoned according to the evidence of abandonment.
2. The municipal officers must provide notice to correct to the responsible party, the owner of record of the mobile home and any recorded lienholders and must hold a hearing, with proper notice to the responsible party, prior to making a determination of abandonment.
3. After a determination of abandonment, the municipality may issue to the responsible party a notice of the municipality's intention to take corrective action within 60 days if the property defects have not been remedied by the responsible party.
4. Corrective action by the municipality includes recovering costs from the responsible party and may include a $500 per day fine and taking possession and disposing of the mobile home and all related personal property.
5. The notice required for the abandonment hearing and for the notice to correct must be attached to the mobile home. Additionally, the notice must be either hand-delivered or mailed by certified mail, or, if that delivery is not successful, the notice must be published twice consecutively in a daily or weekly newspaper.
6. A responsible party may appeal a finding of abandonment by the municipal officers to the Superior Court.
7. A landowner may petition the municipality to investigate a suspected abandoned mobile home that does not belong to the landowner but is located on the landowner's property and the municipality may take appropriate action consistent with the procedures in this amendment.