An Act Regarding Captive Amphibian and Reptile Permits
Sec. 1. 12 MRSA §12152, sub-§2, as enacted by PL 2003, c. 414, Pt. A, §2 and affected by c. 614, §9, is amended to read:
(1) Native species of amphibians and reptiles;
(2) Dwarf or clawed frogs of the genus Hymenochirus;
(3) Snakes of the family Elapidae;
(4) Snakes of the family Viperidae;
(5) Boomslang, Dispholidus typus;
(6) Brown tree snake, Boiga irregularis;
(7) Green vine snake, Ahaetulla nasuta;
(8) Reticulated python, Python reticulatus;
(9) African rock python, Python sebae;
(10) Burmese python, Python molurus spp.;
(11) Green anaconda, Eunectes murinus;
(12) Alligators, Alligatoridae;
(13) Crocodiles, Crocodylidae;
(14) Red-eared slider, Trachemys scripta elegans;
(15) Crocodile monitors, Varanus salvadorii; and
(16) Nile monitors, Varanus niloticus.
This subsection does not apply to nonnative amphibians or nonnative reptiles unless they are listed in paragraph D.
This bill generally exempts nonnative amphibians and nonnative reptiles from the law that requires a permit for the possession of wildlife in captivity and the importation of wildlife from outside of the State but provides a list of nonnative amphibian and nonnative reptile species that are still subject to the permitting requirement. It also specifies that all native amphibians and native reptiles are subject to the permitting requirement.