§3933. Pet shops
1. License necessary. A person maintaining a pet shop, as defined in section 3907, shall obtain a license from the department and is subject to rules adopted by the department. The license expires December 31st annually or in a manner consistent with the license provisions of the Maine Administrative Procedure Act, whichever is later.
[ 1993, c. 657, §34 (AMD) .]
2. License fees. The fee for a pet shop license is $150.
[ 2003, c. 405, §19 (AMD) .]
3. Records. A person maintaining a pet shop, as defined in section 3907, shall keep a record of each animal received by the pet shop, except for mice and fish. The record must include the name and address of the person or company from whom the animal was received and the name and address of the person buying or otherwise acquiring the animal from the pet shop. The record must be kept on file for a period of 2 years following the sale or other disposition of the animal by the pet shop and must be made available to the department within 24 hours of the request of the department.
[ 2009, c. 343, §16 (AMD) .]
4. Surcharge on sale of dogs and cats that have not been neutered. A person maintaining a pet shop shall collect a surcharge of $25 on each cat or dog sold that has not been neutered and forward the entire surcharge to the department for deposit in the Companion Animal Sterilization Fund established under section 3910-B.
[ 2005, c. 281, §7 (NEW) .]
5. Advertising. A pet shop license holder advertising to the public the availability of a dog or cat for sale or in any way exchanging a dog or cat for value shall prominently display the state-issued pet shop license number in any publication in which the pet shop license holder advertises. The pet shop license number must be provided to a person adopting or purchasing an animal from the pet shop.
[ 2007, c. 439, §20 (NEW) .]
1987, c. 383, §3 (NEW). 1991, c. 779, §31 (AMD). 1993, c. 657, §34 (AMD). 2003, c. 350, §1 (AMD). 2003, c. 405, §19 (AMD). 2005, c. 281, §7 (AMD). 2007, c. 439, §20 (AMD). 2009, c. 343, §16 (AMD).