§1206. Agreements with community agencies
1. Definitions. As used in this section, unless the context otherwise indicates, the following terms have the following meanings.
A. "Agreement" means a legally binding document between 2 parties, including documents commonly referred to as accepted application, proposal, prospectus, contract, grant, joint or cooperative agreement or purchase of service. [1983, c. 459, §6 (NEW).]
B. "Community agency" means a person, a public or private nonprofit organization or a firm, partnership or business corporation operated for profit, which:
(1) Operates a human service program at the community level; and
(2) Is not an administrative unit of the Federal Government or State Government. [1983, c. 459, §6 (NEW).]
C. "Funds" means any and all general funds, dedicated funds, fees, special revenue funds, 3rd party reimbursements, vendor payments or other funds available for expenditure by the department in support of the provision of a human service. [1983, c. 459, §6 (NEW).]
D. "Human service" means any alcoholism, children's community action, corrections, criminal justice, developmental disability, donated food, education, elderly, food stamp, income maintenance, health, juvenile, law enforcement, legal, medical care, mental health, adult developmental, poverty, public assistance, rehabilitation, social, substance use disorder, transportation, welfare or youth service operated by a community agency under an agreement financially supporting the service, wholly or in part, by funds authorized for expenditure for the department. [2017, c. 407, Pt. A, §150 (AMD).]
E. "Nonprofit organization" means any agency, institution or organization which is, or is owned and operated by, one or more corporations or associations, no part of the net earnings of which inures, or may lawfully inure, to the benefit of any private shareholder or individual and which has a territory of operations that may extend to a neighborhood, community, region or the State. [1983, c. 459, §6 (NEW).]
F. "State agency client" means the same as set out in Title 20-A, section 1, subsection 34-A. [1985, c. 789, §§5, 9 (NEW).]
[ 2011, c. 542, Pt. A, §58 (AMD); 2017, c. 407, Pt. A, §150 (AMD) .]
2. Commissioner's powers. The commissioner may disburse funds to a community agency for the purpose of financially supporting a human service, only if the disbursement is covered by a written agreement between the department and the agency, specifying at least the following:
A. The human service to be provided by the community agency; [1983, c. 459, §6 (NEW).]
B. The method of payment by the department to the community agency; and [1983, c. 459, §6 (NEW).]
C. The criteria for monitoring and evaluating the performance of the community agency in the provision of the human service. [1983, c. 459, §6 (NEW).]
[ 1983, c. 459, §6 (NEW) .]
3. Commissioner's duties.
[ 2005, c. 488, §9 (RP) .]
4. Payment for state agency clients. The commissioner shall authorize payment of approved board, care and mental health treatment costs for all state agency clients in the care or custody of the department who are placed for other than educational purposes in residential placements, as defined in Title 20-A, section 1, subsection 24-A, to the extent of funds appropriated by the Legislature for this purpose. In no event may those payments be authorized in excess of funds appropriated for those costs.
[ 1987, c. 376, (AMD) .]
1983, c. 459, §6 (NEW). 1985, c. 789, §§5,6,9 (AMD). 1987, c. 376, (AMD). 2005, c. 488, §9 (AMD). 2011, c. 542, Pt. A, §58 (AMD). 2017, c. 407, Pt. A, §150 (AMD).