Maine Revised Statutes

§8-101. Estates of absentees

If a person entitled to or having an interest in property within the jurisdiction of the State has disappeared or absconded from the place within or without the State where he was last known to be, and has no agent in the State, and it is not known where he is, or if such person, having a spouse or minor child dependent to any extent upon him for support, has thus disappeared or absconded without making sufficient provision for such support, and it is not known where he is, or, if it is known that he is without the State, anyone who would under the law of the State be entitled to administer upon the estate of such absentee if he were deceased, may file a petition under oath in the probate court for the county where such property is situated or found, stating the name, age, occupation and last known residence or address of such absentee, the date and circumstances of the disappearing or absconding, and the names and residences of other persons, whether members of such absentee's family or otherwise, of whom inquiry may be made, and containing a schedule of the property, real and personal so far as known, and its location within the State, and praying that such property may be taken possession of, and a receiver thereof appointed under this Part. [1979, c. 540, §1 (NEW).]

1979, c. 540, §1 (NEW).