Maine Revised Statutes

§1-701. Petition to change name

(a).    If a person desires to have that person's name changed, the person may petition the judge of probate in the county where the person resides. If the person is a minor, the person's legal custodian may petition in the person's behalf. If there is a proceeding involving custody or other parental rights with respect to the minor pending in the District Court, the petition must be filed in the District Court.
[ 2015, c. 460, §5 (AMD) .]
(b).    The judge, after due notice, may change the name of the person. To protect the person's safety, the judge may limit the notice required if the person shows by a preponderance of the evidence that:
(1). The person is a victim of abuse; and [2001, c. 163, §1 (NEW).]
(2). The person is currently in reasonable fear of the person's safety. [2001, c. 163, §1 (NEW).]
[ 2001, c. 163, §1 (NEW) .]
(c).    The judge shall make and preserve a record of the name change. If the judge limited the notice required under subsection (b), the judge may seal the records of the name change.
[ 2001, c. 667, Pt. A, §41 (AMD) .]
(d).    The fee for filing the name change petition is $40.
[ 2005, c. 654, §3 (AMD) .]
(e).    The judge may require the person seeking a name change to undergo one or more of the following background checks: a criminal history record check; a motor vehicle record check; or a credit check. The judge may require the person to pay the cost of each background check required.
[ 2003, c. 538, §1 (NEW) .]
(f).    The judge may not change the name of the person if the judge has reason to believe that the person is seeking the name change for purposes of defrauding another person or entity or for purposes otherwise contrary to the public interest.
[ 2003, c. 538, §1 (NEW) .]
1995, c. 694, §C5 (NEW). 1995, c. 694, §E2 (AFF). 1997, c. 18, §2 (AMD). 1997, c. 18, §6 (AFF). 2001, c. 163, §1 (RPR). 2001, c. 667, §A41 (AMD). 2003, c. 538, §1 (AMD). 2005, c. 654, §3 (AMD). 2015, c. 460, §5 (AMD).