§6451. Lobster Fund
1. Allocation of license fees.
[ 2017, c. 284, Pt. EEEEE, §5 (RP) .]
1-A. Lobster Fund established. The Lobster Fund is established within the department. The Lobster Fund receives surcharge fees collected pursuant to section 6421, subsection 7-C. Funds deposited in the Lobster Fund must be used for the purposes of lobster biology research, propagation of lobsters by liberating seed lobsters and female lobsters in the State's coastal waters and establishing and supporting lobster hatcheries.
[ 2017, c. 284, Pt. EEEEE, §6 (NEW) .]
2. Purchases; liberation. The commissioner may authorize the expenditure of the money in the Lobster Fund for the purpose of purchasing seed lobsters from Maine lobster pound owners and female lobsters from wholesale seafood license holders. The commissioner shall establish the purchase price for seed and female lobsters after consultation with the industry. The commissioner shall give priority to purchasing seed lobsters.
[ 1979, c. 127, §85 (AMD) .]
3. Liberation and v-notching. The commissioner may provide purchased seed lobsters to lobster hatcheries. The remaining seed and all other female lobsters shall be liberated in the coastal waters after v-notching them in the right flipper. The right flipper shall be determined as established under section 6436, subsection 1.
[ 1985, c. 237, §2 (RPR) .]
4. Program. The commissioner may authorize the expenditure of money in the Lobster Fund for research and development programs which address the restoration, development or conservation of lobster resources.
[ 1985, c. 237, §2 (RPR) .]
5. Nonlapsing fund. The Lobster Fund shall not lapse.
[ 1977, c. 661, §5 (NEW) .]
6. Lobster hatcheries. The commissioner, with the advice of the Lobster Advisory Council, may authorize expenditure of money from the Lobster Fund, any available funds and, as appropriated by the Legislature, the General Fund to make grants in support of the establishment and operation of lobster hatcheries. The grants shall be for a one-year period and shall be renewable indefinitely upon successful reapplication. There shall be no more than 5 lobster hatcheries supported under this section. The commissioner shall develop rules, including biological and economic criteria for evaluating proposals. The commissioner shall require the grantee to keep a log of activities regarding the hatchery and shall require a written report at the termination of each grant.
[ 1987, c. 406, (RPR) .]
7. Lobster Advisory Council. The commissioner shall consult with the Lobster Advisory Council on the expenditure of funds under this section.
[ 1985, c. 237, §3 (NEW) .]
8. Apprentice program. The commissioner may authorize the expenditure of money in the Lobster Fund to cover the initial costs of developing and delivering the educational component of the apprentice program under section 6422, subsection 3. Any expenditures must be reimbursed to the Lobster Fund from the fees charged under section 6422, subsection 3.
[ 1995, c. 468, §9 (NEW) .]
1977, c. 661, §5 (NEW). 1977, c. 713, §5 (AMD). 1979, c. 127, §85 (AMD). 1981, c. 480, §§2,15,16 (AMD). 1983, c. 824, §K3 (AMD). 1985, c. 237, §§1-3 (AMD). 1985, c. 243, (AMD). 1985, c. 353, §1 (AMD). 1985, c. 737, §A27 (AMD). 1987, c. 406, (AMD). 1987, c. 513, §5 (AMD). 1989, c. 455, §3 (AMD). 1995, c. 468, §9 (AMD). 1997, c. 19, §4 (AMD). 2003, c. 20, §WW5 (AMD). 2003, c. 520, §6 (AMD). 2005, c. 354, §3 (AMD). 2007, c. 615, §12 (AMD). 2009, c. 213, Pt. G, §4 (AMD). 2009, c. 561, §18 (AMD). 2017, c. 284, Pt. EEEEE, §§5, 6 (AMD).